Monday, September 29, 2008

A Toast!


I went out do dinner with some old friends. At one point, L made a toast: "Here's to M who's getting married. Here's to K, who's boyfriend is moving in. Here's to me because they finally diagnosed my health problems, and here's to Joyce, who... ummm...who...ahhhh... who got a foster dog."

Wow! Is my life really that boring? The only thing I have to toast about is a foster dog? (See last post.) Then I realized that M is getting married, which is wonderful, but years ago she had to survive a divorce. She has had to raise and support her kids solo. Anyone deserves to find love, but M also deserves this happiness and a great celebration because she's earned it.

K is moving forward with her relationship, and her boyfriend is moving in now that his kids are off to college and the Navy. But K lost her darling husband to melanoma only a few years ago. Mourning, recovery and moving on have been a testiment to her courage and fortitude. The fact that she met a new man who is kind and loving and deserving of her love is another cause for celebration.

L has been sick and in pain for so long, I can't even remember how it began. Now she has been diagnosed with two kinds of Lyme Disease, and hopefully she is on the mend.

Yes, there is a lot to celebrate because my best buddies' lives are improving. So I will toast to them anytime. And I will also toast to my foster dog and my boring life. Sometimes, I've decided, a boring life is a blessed life!

No comments: