Friday, October 3, 2008

Paul Newman


I was at my Dad's house in Westport, CT when I got the news about Paul Newman's death. Newman was a long-time Westport resident, and hearing of his passing reminded me of the two times I actually interacted with him, and how he made me feel not only at ease, but rather special.


The first time I was in 8th grade and I was buying a Foghat Album for my "boyfriend." I was at such an awkward stage of my life...not knowing how to handle having a boyfriend, and not really knowing who the band Foghat was. (That was a pretty heavy band for a girl who liked James Taylor and Carly Simon.) And the guy I was "going out with" wore a leather jacket and seemed oh-so-much cooler than I. I had the sinking sensation I was in over my head. And as I was debating which album to buy, I noticed there was a man standing near me, and I looked up and into the incredible blue eyes of Paul Newman. He noticed me and asked, "How are you?" Just three little words, to which I mentally responded, "Oh, my God! You're Paul Newman!" In reality, I just said, "I'm fine, how are you?" while turning bright red. I think he made some quick small talk about not being able to find what he was looking for, but I really wasn't paying attention because I was weak in the knees. I remember he was really nice, and talking with him for a few minutes made me forget, momentarily, that I had no idea what I was doing on the dating scene, and that I was not nearly cool enough to be with this guy. In the end, I bought the wrong album and my boyfriend returned it and soon broke up with me to go out with a much cooler girl, who is now a lesbian, by the way. But the whole relationship was worth it because I got to meet Paul Newman!


The second time I met Paul Newman was when I was in college; I was a receptionist at a country club. Mr. Newman, in his dashing tennis whites, was stood-up by his tennis date and needed a phone. I let him into my little reception area and he made his call. Yes, I stood near him in very close proximity for a few minutes. He was grateful for the phone usage and I had a nice story to go home with that day. Again, his eye contact and charming smile were incredibly disarming.


I don't know if many famous movie stars today make the people they interact with actually feel better about themselves. Who's to say? I just know that I met Paul Newman twice, and both times he made me feel special. I think he made everyone feel special, and that, in addition to his phenomenal acting and philanthropy, is a real talent! His charming amd inspiring presence on this earth will be greatly missed.


2 comments:

Tony Rossell said...

It is sad to lose Paul. I was struck with your comments, however, that if we had today's technology back then, you never would have had the interactions you did with Paul. He would have ordered his music from iTunes and called his tennis appointment on his iPhone. Tony

Ana said...

Such a nice post!
For those two moments you were really lucky.