Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tyler/Oscar -- Dogs are in the House!


We are animal lovers. Since living in our house we’ve had two dogs, two cats, fish, frogs and a guinea pig – not all at once. So when I started getting emails from the Great Dog Rescue of New England, I was somewhat susceptible. Something about those sweet, pleading little doggie faces got under my skin, and I found myself returning to re-read my emails again and again.

Most of the dogs, I discovered, needed foster homes – a place to stay before a permanent adoptive home could be found. Because of a network of volunteers, these dogs were rescued from shelters across the country that are considered “High Kill.” It seems many of the mutts had missed their appointments, standing-up the Growling Grim Reaper himself.

Many of the rescued pups are given a second chance at life and happiness here in Massachusetts. The least I could do was help just one of them on his journey. What’s one more dog? We already have one very energetic Yellow Lab who would love a playmate.

I discussed this idea with my kids and my husband, and the biggest concern was that we would fall in love with a foster pup and have a hard time giving him up. “So, we’re afraid of loving someone too much?” I wondered. That didn’t seem to make sense. As long as we know the dog will go to a good, loving home, we’ll all be fine, we decided. And I responded to the email saying, “We’re in!”

After an application and a home inspection, we now have Tyler, but we call him Oscar. He’s a two-year-old Welch Corgi mix, and he’s a sweetheart. We’ve had him for almost a week and he’s very affectionate with humans and dogs alike. Yes, it’s possible that I’m falling in love with him. He rests his head on my knee when I sit down. He’s very patient and polite around food and toys. He already knows how to sit and shake hands and I’ve gotten him to stop pulling on his leash (sort of.) But, luckily, he does little things to irritate me, like dig out under the fence and run away. So, I’m happy we have him, and I’m happy to help him, but I’m a one-dog woman. Still, after we get Tyler/Oscar happily placed in a new home, I’ll consider helping another lucky puppy get a second chance on life.

Check out the Great American Dog Rescue !

1 comment:

Joyce Alla said...

Brought Oscar to e Meet and Greet this week and there is a family who is very interested in him. Fingers are crossed!