Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Eating Smarter and Walking Stronger


There is a chill in the air, the kids are back to school and I decided to wear an old pair of comfy jeans this morning – only, they weren’t so comfy. The waist was a bit snug. I had to smile, remembering ice cream on those balmy summer nights, or the new tasty flax seed chips I discovered and became addicted to this summer, or the trendy Sangria I ordered whenever possible. Yes, it was a good summer, full of fond epicurean memories that linger around my waistline. But now, reality sinks in and overfloweth my jeans.
The problem is, when it comes to diet and exercise, I feel like I’ve “been there, done that.” I just don’t have the desire to hit the gym anymore, and I find running to be tedious. I’ve done low-fat, I’ve done low-carb, and I’ve gotten so confused that I end up eating low-fat (pretzels) with low-carb (nuts) which translates to a high-carb/ high-fat diet.
So I decided to do some research, and while standing in Marshall’s waiting for Lil’J to come out of the dressing room, I picked up a book called Eat Smart, Walk Strong. This sounded like it was right up my alley, or aisle, so to speak. At first glance, I liked some of the concepts of Leslie Sansone’s book so much, I sprung and spent the $3.99 for the hardcover. (Marshall’s has great bargains!)
Sansone doesn’t say anything earth shattering in her book, but she presents health and fitness as a matter of improving habits. Basically, she explains that I shouldn’t spend all my time trying to break my chip-noshing habit; rather I should start a new healthy habit that will eventually squeeze the chips out of my diet. One recommendation I like is increasing water consumption -- yes, the old 8 glasses of water a day. After reading that, I remembered how much water I used to drink, and how full it made me. And, then there’s the classic 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. If I’m eating so many fruits and veggies, I may not have room for ice cream. These are just two of the many recommendations in the book -- I’ve decided to start small and see where it takes me.
So, in addition to walking my dog every day, and trying to squeeze in some strength training at home, I plan to change my eating habits. How are you working off those extra summer pounds?

1 comment:

caron said...

I went on my honeymoon this summer. It was impossible NOT to gain weight. It's lucky that I'm married to a very motivated man who drags me to the gym every day. I often wonder where my motivation went though! Last summer I was exercising two times a day. I guess different seasons of life make it easier to live your life in a healthier way.