Sunday, September 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary to Us!


Having lunch today with my daughter I mentioned that her Dad and I are coming up on our 15th Wedding Anniversary. She became quiet for a moment and asked, “Ummm…am I supposed to get you something?”
“No.” I told her. “But maybe when you’re an adult you can send us a card or something.”
“Good,” she responded with relief, “because I don’t have anything planned.”
“Join the club,” I wanted to say. “I don’t have a plan yet either.”
This year, I’m at a complete loss over what to do for our anniversary. 15 years seems like it should be a big deal, but for the life of me, I can’t come up with a good idea.
Big J and I agreed we can’t escape on a romantic getaway because we both have travel plans (separately) for the following weekend. I’m going to a High School reunion, and Big J has his annual kayak trip with the guys. We could go out to dinner, but we do that often enough that it wouldn’t really be a big deal. Neither of us feels like we “need” anything, so even a present seems like overkill. Sure, he’ll probably get me some flowers, but what do I get him? What is the male equivalent of receiving flowers? (And don’t say candy because he doesn’t eat much sugar.)
I don’t mean to be blasé about our anniversary but I keep coming up empty handed. When I stand in front of the rack of cards at the pharmacy, none of them really capture the essence of our marriage, and the funny cards (maybe it’s just me) have a bit of a negative undertone. Yes, I will eventually pick out a card, or write a nice one. But, is that it? A card?
So, as of now, I’m leaning toward a quiet evening at home with a nice dinner and a good bottle of wine. Am I totally boring and uncreative? Is this a reflection on my marriage, or on my level of effort in this relationship?
I guess I’ll take the positive view and believe that all I really need to celebrate my 15th Wedding Anniversary is my husband. After 15 years, maybe the “gift” we give each other is just the comfort and ease of our relationship, and an acknowlegement…Happy Anniversary to Us!

A Poll: How long were you together before you were married? We were together for 4 years and I say that’s a long time. Big J says 3 years is average. What about you?

No comments: