Thursday, August 7, 2008

Show Biz Kid


A few years ago, my daughter, C, caught the acting bug. She was in a few local plays and she loved the camaraderie of the cast and the excitement of the performance. Since a family friend was having lots of success in TV and movies, C decided she wanted to go professional and started researching on the Internet -- she was 9. At her insistence, I signed her up for an acting class in Boston (at Boston Casting.) C was one of the older kids in the week-long class which culminated in a recorded "practice" commercial. She nailed it and wanted more.


Since then, we've been to many auditions, and we finally spent money on professional head shots. As a parent, I've felt extremely torn about putting my child out there, exposed to disappointment over and over again. But C loves it. Before every audition, even if it's a notorious "cattle call" where over a hundred kids show up, C gets excited -- with a gleam in her eye she creates a flurry of "what if" scenarios. "What if I get this part and it's a national commercial -- I'll be able to pay for at least a year of college!" "What if they pick me. Do you think I'd get free sneakers?" I temper her enthusiasm with doses of reality, and eventually she'll respond, "I know, Mom. It's a long shot. But can't a girl dream?" I can't argue with that.


C's has had some very cool experiences because of her acting passion. She was an extra in Disney's The Game Plan, and she met The Rock (who was quite charming.) She was a fit model for Talbot's Kids and got paid to try on clothing -- her dream come true. And, most recently, C played a pilgrim girl in an upcoming Public Television mini-series called We Shall Remain (airs Fall '09) Spending time on the set with authentic looking pilgrims and real Native Americans from the New England area was a fantastic, time-travelling, learning experience that neither of us will ever forget.


On the negative side, there are a plethora of scams designed to drain the pockets of the parents of child star wannabes. One "audition" was really a sales pitch for a 5 day trip to LA where kids would perform for agents and visit local theme parks. Of course they pitched this to me with C in the room. She was disappointed for about 1 minute when I said "no." Then she came to her senses. Now, when we get an audition call, one of her first questions is, "Do you think it's a scam?"


We've both gotten a bit more street smart. It seems I've taken on some of C's enthusiasm, while she has adopted some of my wariness. I repeat to her constantly, "This is a hobby -- something we do for fun. If it gets in the way of your childhood, we are done." Still, I realize, it's a roller coaster, and kids like roller coasters much more than adults. So, for now, we're going along for the ride --white knuckles and all.

No comments: