Friday, October 10, 2008

A day at the Beach


Finally, Oct. 1st rolled around and I’m able to take the dog(s) to the beach near my house. It’s a tricky beach because it basically doesn’t exist at high tide. At low tide, the beach is expansive! For three days in a row, I’ve made a quick visit to the beach a priority on my “to do” list.

Walking the beach, and letting the dogs run free, I can’t help but feel a sense of relief from my daily life. I watch the dogs chase birds, balls, other dogs, and though my pockets are heavy with symbols of reality, like car keys, leashes, plastic bags and dog treats, my spirit soars up and down the expanse of beach freely.

Most times I am alone on the beach, but dog owners are a friendly bunch. When we meet, we rarely exchange our names, just the names of the four-legged frolickers. Over the years, I’ve taken many walks with complete strangers, never to be seen again. Sometimes we’ve talked about nothing important, the weather, dogs, how lucky we are to be here, now. Other times, I’ve heard life stories, love stories, or tales of loss and betrayal. There’s something freeing in anonymity.

Today on the beach the glaring sun dazzled wet sand making each footstep (or paw step) shimmer with energy. I looked for slick wet rocks that held the promise of drying with undiminished beauty. I remembered sandcastles of my youth, and the miniature sand people that lived there and had to magically rebuild with every change of tide. I breathed ocean air that had blown over from Spain, filled with the essence of wine and Paella. I got my sneakers soaked and laughed.

“A day at the beach” is an expression people use to say something will be easy, fun, not a problem. It’s an appropriate expression.

No comments: