Saturday, October 25, 2008

WHO Are You?


Last week my siblings and I celebrated my Dad’s 86th Birthday. While he has some of the health problems that come with age, he often tells me “I don’t feel my age,” inside. His personality, sense of humor and outlook have not aged at the same rate as his body. I guess he feels young, but his body sometimes reminds him that he's getting on in years. That sentiment was echoed in a conversation with my oldest brother, who is only a bit over 50. He feels the same as he did in his 20’s. Little did I know that within the week I’d be in a huge stadium with thousands of people who clearly had a strong desire to re-experience their youth … I went the see The Who in concert.

When we were invited by some friends, I thought the concert might be fun. Until the second song, I didn’t realize just how much I was going to enjoy this show. The playlist ranged from classics to songs that I had completely forgotten about. And the thing about Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey is that they just don’t hold back. They put so much energy into their music, it’s easy to forget they’re in their sixties! A highlight for me was the song Love Reign O’er Me, in which Daltrey sang with total abandon. I don’t know how his voice, reaching such scratchy, wailing highs, has lasted so long.

The crowd at the Boston Garden was filled with middle-aged folks, at least age 40 and above, but once the lights went down it could have been a stadium of teenagers. Everyone was singing and dancing to the music as if it was their first concert ever. And while seeing The Who made me feel young, it also brought back a lot of memories from days gone by. Some were fun memories, even treasured memories. Other memories made me in wonder, "what was I thinking?" And I decided that, while I like maintaining the kernal of my personality from my youth, I so much prefer my later years. And even though I'm getting old, it doesn't mean I can't still ROCK! In the end, it was good to leave the Boston Garden as a grown-up.

No comments: