Monday, December 1, 2008

Technically Speaking


When I was in 7th grade, I had my first boyfriend. Basically, our relationship consisted of talking on the phone. When Tommy called, first he had to get through a family member to get to me. My mom would holler across the house, "Joyce, Tommy's on the phone," and this would be followed by the giggles and snickers of my siblings. Tom would usually be chatting into the phone connected to his kitchen wall, and I would be in the family room with my mom folding laundry nearby. Needless to say, we had absolutely no privacy.


I recently wrote about my two encounters with Paul Newman, and my brother responded that with today's technology I never would have met him. The first encounter was in a record store ... remember those? The second encounter was when Mr. Newman borrowed my phone when I was the receptionist at a country club. Now, he would clearly have his cell phone.


So, as my son texts girls, and as my daughter complains that we won't allow her to receive picture texts, I have to wonder how all this technology is effecting my family and communication in general? Am I less likely to meet a movie star or talk to my son's someday girlfriend? Is technology actually making my world smaller?


Here's another scenario: It's my freshman year of college and I haven't spoken to my parents in weeks. You see, the only phone is in the hallway of my dormitory's second floor. When I call home I have to do it collect, and when my parents call it is very unlikely that I'm even around. In five years, when Lil'J heads off to college, we'll have email, cell phones and maybe even video messaging to rely upon. My assumption is that we'll be in touch.


Maybe technology does shut us off a bit from the rest of the world. After all, who stops for directions these days when we all have GPS systems? On the other hand, through Facebook and email, I'm in contact with some people from my past who I assumed I'd never hear from again. Maybe technology enhances communication with those we know, and decreases our chances of interacting in the real world. The real question is, while technology changes are people changing, too? Are Lil'J's text conversations to middle school girls any more or less innocent than my awkward phone conversations with Tommy? Are movie stars any less friendly? Are college kids any more likely to miss their parents? My guess is, probably not. Technology may increase or decrease our access, but in my estimation, human nature evolves at a much slower pace.

No comments: