Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fresh Starts


There were some wonderful holiday moments -- skiing with the kids, meals with extended family, not to mention my brand new laptop computer! But, when I dragged the tree out of the house yesterday, I admit, I felt relieved. Finally, I'm home alone and getting things organized. The boxes of decorations are returned to their perch on a shelf in the basement, and I have some big ideas for some redecorating touches around the house. The post-holiday, New Year energy is inspiring me and motivating me to make changes big and small.


For example, I love make-up. In fact, I think I should have gone into cosmetics and hair as an occupation. After dropping some hints to my trusty 11-year-old daughter, I found a cosmetic kit under the tree. Last night I dug through that old, crusty, make-up drawer. You know, the one with the three bottles of old foundation that never quite matched my skin tone? That drawer in which the blush broke and dusted the corners and crevices? I cleared out all of that old junk and kept only the basics -- the stuff I really use. It is such a pleasure to open that drawer now.


My schedule was also in dire need of an overhaul. I'm setting time aside not only for writing, but also for more reading. And, I signed on to take a course on writing Children's books! I'm excited for mental stimulation in 2009.


And, of course, I know I need to take better care of my body. The way I see it, I'm about half way through my life. So, I went to the gym today. I plan to attend the Body Conditioning Class on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. And, when I went to the grocery store, I stocked up on tons of fruits and veggies. I also signed on to FitDay, which allows me to keep an online food journal so I can actually pay attention to what I'm eating (or what I'm not.) I know, I probably do these things every year, but still, I like fresh starts. I like the possibilities and hope they provide.


I recently read an essay by Andrew Sullivan, in the collection of essays, This I Believe. In describing the United States, and our lofty goals like liberty and the pursuit of happiness, he writes, "In the constant failure to arrive...lies the possibility of a permanent fresh start."


I realize that my house will be a mess again, as will my make-up drawer. I know that I will never be as fit as I was in my twenties. And, my writing and mental growth will suffer from the usual ebbs and flows. But the goal is secondary to the journey. As Sullivan says, " I believe in the pursuit of happiness. Not its attainment, nor its final destination, but its pursuit." For me, I believe in fresh starts, and I'm excited for 2009.


No comments: